You will find that the tech tools on this page are listed by category of use (e.g., academic integrity, study tools, web conferencing, grading, etc.), or you may view the alphabetical list of available tools. Click the tech tool’s name to discover what it is and how it is used, read the section for instructors and students, and support information for each tool.
It is important to note that the ISU LMS Enterprise Team has vetted these tools to meet/exceed the university’s security, privacy, accessibility, and purchasing standards.
Are you interested in using a tool not listed?
Did you recently discover a new technology you would like Iowa State to consider implementing? Do you already use a technology that recently created a connection app for Canvas? Read the Overview of Steps in the App Review and Approval Process, then submit a request to have the app reviewed for use at Iowa State University.
Canvas is the primary learning management system (LMS) at Iowa State University. It allows you to quickly share course materials and provides easy-to-use tools for communication and collaboration with students, co-instructors, and Teaching Assistants (TAs).
Instructors can start by looking at the Online Course Essentials (ONCE) process.
Looking for Canvas resources? Check out Canvas@ISU.
Student Ratings of Teaching
Get help quickly with these tools!
We want you to get accurate help as quickly as possible. Each tool has its own support structure which should be used, even if you accessed the tool from within Canvas. See the Support section at the bottom of each technology page for available options.
App review and approval process
Did you recently learn about a new technology you would like to see Iowa State implement? Do you already use a technology that recently created a connection app for Canvas? Read the information below, then submit a request to have the app reviewed for use at Iowa State University.
The LMS Enterprise Team includes:
- The Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching (CELT)
- Information Technologies (IT) Security Team
- Office of University Counsel, Procurement Services
- Iowa State University Book Store
Steps for the process
The ISU LMS Enterprise Team will process all requests for new apps according to these steps:
- The newly requested app is checked for overlap in functionality with existing apps.
- Documentation is requested from the vendor.
- Documentation is simultaneously reviewed by security, accessibility, procurement, and learning technology members of the LMS Enterprise Team.
- Findings are reviewed by the Change Advisory Board and approved or denied.
- The app is installed in a test instance of Canvas and reviewed by the LMS Enterprise Team and the original requestor.
- The fully approved app is installed in the live Canvas instance.
For questions, please email email@example.com this will create a ticket in ServiceNow and notify our instructional design team to follow-up with you.
What concerns are there for approving a new app (LTI) for use at ISU?
- Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA) along with the FERPA Sharing Student Information page.
- Level of installation and access at ISU:
- Is access limited to specific departments or courses?
- Who provides IT administrative oversight of the app/LTI?
- Who provides local support for faculty and students?
- Who pays for the annual license?
- Are any costs passed onto students?
- Copyright/ownership of content and data and how content and data may be reused by the vendor
- Terms of Service/License Agreements Is it between the institution and the vendor or between individual users and the vendor?
- Does it meet ISU Digital Access Guidelines? To learn about accessible course content, Universal Design for Learning and Quality Matters, visit CELT’s Accessible Course Design page.