Canvas is the Learning Management System (LMS) at Iowa State University. It is an online platform where instructors will keep important class information. Students will interact with Canvas regularly to access course resources, complete assignments and take tests.
Anyone with a Net-ID has access to Canvas at ISU. The first time you sign in to Canvas, your profile will be populated with your name, email address, and your ISU ID number.
What is Canvas?
Canvas is the Learning Management System (LMS) at ISU and should be used to communicate with students, post course materials and syllabus, set up course assignments, and submit final grades. Using Canvas in your course(s) helps achieve these goals and initiatives:
- FERPA compliance. Canvas meets specific security standards that ensure student information is protected.
- Consistency. Using Canvas means you and your students can find everything needed for the course in one place.
- Eco-friendliness. Providing digital resources via Canvas saves paper and ink, resulting in lower costs for you, your students, and your department.
- Transparency. Students always know where they stand in your course when assignments are submitted and graded through Canvas.
- Continuity. Courses can be copied from semester to semester, allowing you to build upon existing resources.