The Miller Faculty Fellowship Program provides recipients with opportunities to enhance their scholarly work in the university’s undergraduate academic programs. It also allows recipients to develop innovative approaches to enhance student learning. Recipients have up to 12 months to meet the goals of their Fellowship project.
The Miller Faculty Development Fund was made possible by the generosity of F. Wendell Miller, who left his entire estate jointly to Iowa State University and the University of Iowa. Mr. Miller, who died in 1995 at age 97, was born in Altona, Illinois. Mr. Miller grew up in Rockwell City, Iowa, graduated from Grinnell College and Harvard Law School, and practiced law in Des Moines and Chicago before returning to Rockwell City to manage his family’s farm holdings and to practice law. His legacy helped to establish the F. Wendell Miller Trust, the annual earnings of which, in part, help support faculty development proposals that advance the university’s strategic plan. The program is administered by the President’s Office and the Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching.
New Funding Opportunity!
“AI Across the Curriculum”
FY 24-25: CELT seeks proposals specifically focused on generative AI in the classroom. If you would like your proposal to be considered as part of this focus, please indicate this in your proposal form.
How to Participate in the 2024-25 Miller Faculty Fellowship Program
- First, please review the program details about eligibility, proposal content and inclusion, application directions, the review process, and expectations.
- Attend our series about the Miller Faculty Fellowship Programs.
- Consider using the Miller Proposal Guide (DOCX) to help you through the process.
- Additional resources like budget & project templates, sample budgets, and a Gantt chart organizer are also available to use.
- New for 2024-25, the maximum request for funding has doubled from $25,000 to $50,000. There are also opportunities to receive summer stipend funding.
- Then, follow the application directions, and submit your Miller Faculty Fellowship Program Proposal Form (DOCX) by Monday, December 11, 2023.
- This is the rubric reviewers use to rate each proposal.
- If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com or call 515-294-5357.
- Any faculty member at Iowa State University (tenured, tenure-eligible, term, or a staff member with a teaching appointment) may apply for a fellowship. All Iowa State faculty may submit proposals as individuals or may join with others to submit a proposal as a faculty team.
- To increase involvement, preference will be given to first-time Miller Fellowship applicants.
- Applicants who are CELT staff or members of the CELT Advisory Board may submit a proposal for consideration for a Miller Fellowship grant but are not allowed to serve as a principal investigator. These individuals may be listed as collaborators on the grant (just not as PI or co-PI).
- CELT staff or Advisory Board members who apply are not allowed to participate in the Miller Fellowship review process.
Applicants can propose to develop innovative new approaches to the teaching of existing undergraduate courses or to develop entirely new courses that will enrich the undergraduate experience. Funding for 2024-2025 will include four categories of grants:
- Requests up to $5000
- Requests up to $15,000
- Requests up to $25,000
- Requests up to $50,000
Proposals submitted to CELT staff for tracking.
College Deans provide prioritization feedback to CELT staff.
Late January to Early February
CELT Advisory Board reviews proposals independently and then meets to recommend funding.
Provost reviews recommended funding and makes the final determination.
SVPP office informs new Fellows, CELT informs non-funded faculty.
Recent Abstracts and News
Recent Miller Abstracts
- Download the Funded 2023-2024 Miller Faculty Fellowship abstracts (PDF)
- Download the Funded 2022-2023 Miller Faculty Fellowship abstracts (PDF)
- Download the Funded 2021-2022 Miller Faculty Fellowship abstracts (PDF)
- Download the Funded 2020-2021 Miller Faculty Fellowship abstracts (PDF)
- Download the Funded 2019-2020 Miller Faculty Fellowship abstracts (PDF)
- Download the Funded 2018-2019 Miller Faculty Fellowship abstracts (PDF)
- Download the Funded 2017-2018 Miller Faculty Fellowship abstracts (PDF)
- Download the Funded 2016-2017 Miller Faculty Fellowship abstracts (PDF)