Steps to provide Canvas access to students
Follow this procedure to provide access to students needing to finish an incomplete in your course.
Navigate to the current Canvas course and assign a score for all expected work.
- Navigate to Help/Global Course Administration/Request a New Course Shell
- Create a new Credit-Earning Course, in the next semester. You may wish to include the word “Incomplete” in the title.
- After you click Submit, a “Visit your new Canvas Course” link will appear in the green bar at the top. Follow that link to your new course.
Navigate to Settings on the left navigation within your course to set access dates and permissions.
- Enter Start and End dates to set access to the course.
- Choose to allow students to only participate in the course between these dates (they can still view content if the course is published).
- Restrict students from viewing the course outside these dates.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and choose Update Course Details.
Navigate to Settings on the left navigation within your course.
- Choose Import Course Content on the right sidebar.
- Choose Content Type Copy a Canvas Course.
- Select All Content or choose the item you wish to give access to.
Tip: We recommend choosing All Content.
Navigate to Modules, Quizzes, and Assignments to ensure only the necessary content is available.
- Unpublish all items the student does not need to see or complete.
- Set due dates for individual assignments and quizzes.
Navigate to ISU AdminTools/Manage Additional People
- Enter the Net-ID of the student you would like to add.
- Choose the Student role.
- The Section will be named the same as the course and choose Add.
Note: The student will get an invitation to your course in Canvas when you complete this step.
In order to calculate the final grade, you will need to manually enter the grades from this new course into the gradebook of the old course.
- For help with the Gradebook, contact Canvas Support via the ?Help menu in Canvas:
- live chat with Canvas Support
- ticket support — open the ?Help menu in Canvas and click Report a Problem
- phone support — 515-294-4000, then follow the prompts for Canvas support
- For help with the Submit Grades tool, contact the ISU Solution Center:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call 515-294-4000 and follow the prompts to receive support from Solution Center staff
- For pedagogical assistance, contact the Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching (CELT), via phone 515-294-5357 or email email@example.com. Or contact the unit for your area.