The ISU Course Template is part of the Online Course Essentials (ONCE) process. The ISU Template contains the fundamental components for a quality online course as per the nationally acclaimed faculty-driven and peer-reviewed Quality Matters (QM) Course Design Rubric. Essential QM Standards are assigned 3 points and must be present in a quality online course.
Additionally, all pages inside the template course are accessible, easy-to-modify, and display well on student laptops or hand-held smart devices.
The Structure of the Template
The ISU template consists of two modules for importing into a Canvas course. A module is an instructional package/unit that focuses on a specific learning objective and contains documents, learning materials (such as readings, presentations, media files, etc.), learning activities (discussion boards, etc.), assessments, etc.
The two modules in the ISU template course include:
- Orientation: Begin Here is a required module that orients students on how to interact with the online course, its structure, course requirements, technical, and academic support resources. This module is complete with all components required for a typical online course overview and introduction that set the tone, let learners know what to expect, and provide vital guidance to help learners succeed from the beginning of the course. You can edit the information in this module as needed for your course.
- Module 01 models the strategic organization where a module introduces a page containing an overview of module-specific learning objectives and descriptions, supplemented by subheaders for the various learning materials, activities, and assessments. Each of these assignments contains clear instructions (purpose/task/criteria) for equitable student success.
Module 01 offers a solid structure where you may replicate it as many times as needed.
- Includes an Orientation: Begin Here module comprised of the syllabus, instructor introduction, communication expectations, technology and academic support resources, and course tour pages.
- Features an example module organization, complete with an overview page.
- Demonstrates clear assignment instructions for students to be successful.
- It contains clear instructor guidance showing the next steps for designing the course.
- Uses accessible and easy-to-modify pages for confidence while editing.
Would you like to see the template in action?
Explore the ISU template in this model course or view the resource in Canvas Commons.