We continue to be faced with a number of challenges in the classroom as we approach the midpoint of the Spring 2022 semester. Ensuring that the classroom is a safe and secure environment for students is vital to student success.
CELT has a number of resources and programs available to aid you in developing and maintaining a supportive, encouraging environment for all learners.
- Trigger Warnings: Methods and Best Practices – Dr. Michael Bugeja will lead a presentation on Monday, February 28 from 2-3 p.m. via Zoom sharing his practices and views about trigger warnings. Join this event to learn more about guidelines to respect students’ well-being and enhance teaching practices.
- Building Community and Connection in the Classroom – Join us on March 3 from 3:10-4 p.m. via Zoom to learn how incorporating mindfulness practices can support building community and connection with students.
- Navigating Controversial Topics in the Classroom – If you are avoiding controversial topics in the classroom, come learn some strategies on how using controversy in the classroom can promote learning. This program takes place on March 8 from 2:30-3:20 p.m. via Zoom. Can’t make it? Check out our resources on navigating controversial topics in the classroom on our website.
- Creating an Inclusive Classroom – Looking for a place to start making your classroom more inclusive? We have campus resources to support students, accessibility resources, and more on the CELT website.
- Managing Disruptive Conduct in Learning Spaces – These resources provide recommendations and responses to disruptive behavior. You can also watch a previous webinar that provides learning objectives that you can apply to your course.
In addition to these resources, refresh your knowledge of free expression in the classroom by completing the required 2022 Free Speech Training. Faculty and staff can access this training through the Learn@ISU system. This training must be completed by the end of the Spring 2022 semester.
Full Teaching Tip
Prefer a Print Version?
To view the Teaching Tip as a printable document with web addresses, download the CELT Teaching Tip for February 24, 2022 (PDF).