The Plan Your Course worksheet was developed as part of the ONCE process. The worksheet will guide you through the process of aligning your assessments and learning objectives, as per the nationality acclaimed Quality Matters (QM) Course Design Rubric.
Use this tool to establish a direct link between one of the course’s learning objectives and its corresponding assessments and learning activities. Repeat for each learning objective.
- It helps to ensure students see the relationship between the work being done and the expected learning.
- Features clear prompt for developing assessments.
- Encourages careful consideration of the quality of assessments.
- Download the Plan Your Course worksheet (DOCX). The worksheet guides creating a direct link between the learning objectives, assessments, learning activities, and instructional materials in your course.
- Start by choosing a one-course learning objective. Identify the assessment that you will use for evaluating student achievement of the selected learning objective.
- Next, reflect on the smaller, more discrete, and concrete knowledge and skills your course level objective require your students to obtain before they can demonstrate achievement. These smaller, discrete, and concrete knowledge and skills are described in your module-level objectives, which will then direct your learning activities and instructional materials.
- Repeat the process for each of the 3-5 course learning objectives for an aligned course. All course components (learning objectives, assessments, activities, and materials) work together to support student progress and learning.