Per the ISU Official COVID-19 updates site and in consultation with the Senior Vice President and Provost, both the CELT Teaching Symposium and New Faculty Orientation are virtual events for fall 2020.
We encourage you to engage in the many CELT professional development opportunities scheduled this summer, view our Upcoming Events schedule to register.
CELT Teaching Symposium
Tuesday, August 18 from 8 a.m.-12 p.m., via Webex (web conferencing software)
The Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching (CELT) hosts this half-day virtual program that encompasses the best teaching practices and student support resources available at Iowa State. New faculty, staff with a teaching role, and graduate teaching assistants will learn from Iowa State’s educators about how to prepare for a successful first semester of teaching and explore CELT’s services, resources, and professional development opportunities.
Our symposium goals:
- To recognize the policies, practices, and resources for effective teaching and learning at Iowa State University.
- To explore common student issues, successes along with various campus resources for students.
- To discover the services, support, and development opportunities provided by CELT.
- 8-8:50 a.m., Course Design
- 9-9:50 a.m., Student Engagement
- 10-10:50 a.m., Assessment of Student Learning
- 11-11:50 a.m., Student Success Scenarios
Please register even if you attend only one session. All sessions will be recorded and made available for those who cannot participate in the symposium synchronously (in real-time).
SVPP New Faculty Orientation
Wednesday, August 12 (7:30 a.m.-4 p.m., via Zoom)
All new tenured, tenure-eligible, and term faculty hired since January 2020 are encouraged to attend an orientation designed explicitly for them. New Faculty Orientation allows new faculty to connect with other campus leaders, faculty, and staff. You will engage in interactive activities about institutional resources and policies to promote your success as a faculty member. Our faculty success team will provide you with more details about the orientation arrangement.
Note: Online registration will close on August 10 at 5:00 p.m.