The CELT Teaching Partners Program supplements departmental mentoring by pairing two new junior or term faculty members with a senior faculty member from a different discipline who is a successful and experienced teacher. Junior partners should be in their second to fifth year at Iowa State University. Partners discuss teaching and learning topics, complete classroom observations, and focus on documenting teaching effectiveness for continuous improvement efforts of use in teaching portfolios. The partnership runs for the entire academic year. The Teaching Partners Program includes:
- Meeting monthly with your teaching partners to discuss issues pertinent to the small group. Previous groups have taken broad approaches to their meetings, while others have taken a very focused approach such as implementing and evaluating scaffolding in the classroom, development of learning centered syllabi, documenting reflective teaching practices, employing new (or more) assessment techniques, and integrating case-based teaching in a course.
- Visit teaching partners’ classrooms. Junior partners visit senior partners’ classrooms in the fall semester. Senior partners visit junior partners’ classrooms in the spring semester.
- Attend a CELT programming event each semester with teaching partners.
- Attend three one-hour CELT Teaching Partner Program gatherings (August, December, April, dates TBD)
With your teaching partners, identify one element of your teaching for documentation purposes for annual review or promotion purposes. Previous Teaching Partners Participants have gained from meaningfully interacting with others interested in the teaching and learning process outside of their discipline. Representative comments include:
- “My senior partner observed my classroom teaching and wrote a letter that went into my 3rd year review. That alone was worth the participation!”
- “Having a knowledgeable, open sounding board for new ideas and the opportunity to share experiences with my mentor and the other participants in the program was invaluable.”
- “The Teaching Partners program gave my small teaching appointment enhanced attention, and boosted my self-confidence in teaching. It also gave me a plethora of ideas for incorporating different techniques to make my classroom more student-centered in its orientation.”
Applications for the CELT Teaching Partner Program will be available late spring semester of each academic year for the following fall kick-off.
Contact Sara Marcketti, CELT Director (firstname.lastname@example.org)
2018-19 Teaching Partners
|Senior Partners||Junior Partner(s)|
|Jeanine Aune||James Nemiroff and Arienne McCracken|
|Ulrick Genschel||Sam Cook|
|Cindy Haynes||Nick Serão|
|Monica Lamm||Lofti ben Othmane|
|Kristopher Lee||Crystal Brillhart|
|Gretchen Mosher||Kelly Reddy-Best and Alissa Stoehr|
|Sunday Tim||Shannon Coleman|
|Susan Yager||Rebecca Cademarti|