The CELT Teaching Development Grant provides instructional faculty and staff with teaching appointments financial support to engage in teaching development opportunities such as:
- Presentations at a teaching conference: Present findings from a scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL) project at a conference that supports the dissemination of teaching strategies (e.g., The Teaching Professor Conference), the scholarship of teaching and learning (e.g., ISSOTL), disciplinary conferences, (e.g., an education track within your disciplinary conference) or are focused on teaching within a specific discipline (e.g., NACTA – North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture).
- Attendance at a teaching conference or teaching strategies workshop: Attend a conference that supports the dissemination of teaching strategies (e.g., The Teaching Professor Conference), the scholarship of teaching and learning (e.g., ISSOTL), or complete a workshop aimed at developing teaching strategies (e.g., National Effective Teaching Institute) or learning a new pedagogy (e.g., Team-Based Learning Conference, Problem-Based Learning Institute)
An applicant can apply for travel funds for up to $1,500. There are two steps to the process:
Before travel: Complete the application form.
After travel: Complete the post-travel form and receive your funding.
These must be completed within 30 days of conference travel return to receive reimbursement
- For travel that will be completed between July 1 and December 30, apply by June 15.
- For travel that will be completed between January 1 and June 30, apply by December 15.
An ad hoc committee will consider the following characteristics of the application:
- Scope of the conference (e.g., international, national, regional, local);
- Extent to which the conference emphasizes university teaching and learning;
- Extent of applicant’s involvement in the conference (e.g., multiple presentations or activities) and within CELT.
All Iowa State University faculty members and staff members with teaching appointments who are employed at Iowa State during the period of the funding award and the conference are eligible to apply and receive funding with the following conditions:
- Only one member of a multi-authored presentation attending the same conference may apply for funding.
- Applicants can receive funding once per every two years to allow for greater participation.
- Preference will be given to first-time applicants.
- Preference will be given to faculty and staff who received a Miller Faculty Fellowship Award or participated in a CELT program, such as Course Design Institute, SoTL Scholars, Teaching and Learning Academy, etc.
To begin the process fill out the CELT Presenter Grant Application Qualtrics web link.
Grantees Only (After Travel)
Final Phase: Report Submission: Upload your final report to the CELT Presenter Grantee (Final Phase: Report) web link.