Teaching and Learning Academy
CELT Teaching and Learning Academy (TLA) participants will attend monthly sessions that address course design, evidence-based teaching strategies, inclusive classroom practices, peer-review of teaching, and documentation of teaching effectiveness. Local experts on college teaching and learning will lead sessions during the academy. Instructors from all disciplines are encouraged to apply for this cohort-based teaching and learning community.
Applications are now being accepted for the TLA at Iowa State University. At the end of the TLA, participants will be able to:
- Apply evidence-based teaching practices to improve student learning and motivation
- Develop and maintain an inclusive classroom environment
- Develop a learner-centered syllabus for a course
- Design effective assessments of student learning
- Develop a systematic approach for course design that ensures alignment between course outcomes, teaching units, daily lesson plans, and assessments.
- Actively participate in the process of formative peer review of teaching.
- Reflect on teaching practice and its relationship to career advancement
The Teaching and Learning Academy at the Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching is open to instructors at Iowa State University (tenured faculty, tenure-eligible faculty, term faculty, or a staff member with teaching appointment) who have at least one year of teaching experience at Iowa State University.
Attendance is expected at all TLA sessions. Please mark the session dates and times on your calendar now. There will be 9 Friday sessions from 1:10 – 3:00 p.m. in 2030 Morrill Hall:
- 2022: August 26, September 23, October 21, November 11, December 9
- 2023: January 13, February 10, March 10, April 7
- Make-up date: May 5 (will be used only if a session above is canceled due to unforeseen circumstances)
Teaching and Learning Academy Requirements
Please obtain your department chair’s endorsement before applying for the TLA. Applicants will be asked to apply via Qualtrics by providing:
- A 2-page condensed vita (CV) or resume
- Responses to the following questions:
- How many years have you taught at Iowa State University?
- What do you hope to gain from participation in the Teaching and Learning Academy?
- Do you currently supervise graduate teaching assistants or undergraduate learning assistants as part of your teaching duties?
- Confirmation that your department chair endorses your participation in the Teaching and Learning Academy. No letter is required from your department chair. On the application, you will indicate that you have discussed this opportunity with your department chair. Your department chair will receive an email notification once your application is submitted.
Applications for the 2022-2023 Teaching and Learning Academy are now open via Qualtrics. Applications will be accepted until April 15.
Contact Dr. Monica Lamm, CELT Faculty Fellow via email at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
2020-21 Teaching and Learning Academy Cohort
|Mirka Deza||Assistant Teaching Professor||Mechanical Engineering|
|Amani Elobeid||Adjunct Associate Professor||Economics|
|Arthi Kanthasamy||Professor||Biomedical Sciences|
|Shuyang Qu||Assistant Professor||Agricultural Education & Studies|
2019-20 Teaching and Learning Academy Cohort
|Nicholas T. Peters||Assistant Professor||Plant Pathology & Microbiology|
|Crystal Brillhart||Assistant Teaching Professor||Animal Science – Interdepartmental|
|Johanna Amaya||Assistant Professor||Supply Chain Management|
|Amber Bellville||Assistant Teaching Profess||Supply Chain Management|
|Kelly Reddy-Best||Assistant Professor||Apparel, Events, & Hospitality|
|Gary Sawyer||Assistant Teaching Professor||Greenlee School of Journalism & Mass Communication|
|Joseph Awino||Assistant Teaching Professor||Chemistry|
|Alissa Stoehr||Assistant Teaching Professor||Sociology/Women’s and Gender Studies|