Purchasing a Top Hat license
If your instructor uses Top Hat, the Iowa State University Book Store will add it to your required course materials list. You will need to purchase a Top Hat license from the Iowa State University Book Store or through the Top Hat website before you will be able to access the Top Hat course materials. By ordering through the ISU Book Store you can use your Student Financial Aid account (U-Bill) to purchase the license(s).
A Top Hat Classroom license covers all courses that use Top Hat for the duration of the license period and is available in the following options:
- One-year license: $32.00
- One-semester license: $21.00
Note: Premium Top Hat Marketplace content (textbook) licenses must be purchased separately for each class in which they are used and will be listed as a separate item in your required course materials list.
If you purchase a Top Hat license through the ISU Book Store, you will receive a redemption code that needs to be converted into a Top Hat access key prior to use on the Top Hat website. To redeem your code go to www.isubookstore.com/redeem. For help in completing this process, read the Top Hat article on redeeming bookstore codes.
Creating a Top Hat account
To create a Top Hat account, you will need the Top Hat Join Code provided by Top Hat or your instructor.
To create an account:
- Go to the Top Hat website and select ‘Sign-up’ or click the Top Hat link within your Canvas course.
- Select ‘Student’ and follow the on-screen instructions
Note: You must sign up with your Iowa State e-mail for your scores to be properly recorded.
For help creating an account visit the student section of Iowa State University – Single Sign-On Account Setup.
Joining a Top Hat course
If you already have a Top Hat account, you can join a Top Hat course using one of the following methods:
- Click the Top Hat link in your Canvas course navigation.
- Click the link sent to you via email from Top Hat support.
- Go to https://tophat.com, login, then click on the Courses link in the top left corner to get to your Top Hat dashboard. Click the blue Join Course button and search for your course by name.
Engaging with the Top Hat course
To access Top Hat, use a …
See the Student: Checking Grades article for guidance on how to see the results of your submissions.