Understanding the Course Visibility Timeline
The course visibility timeline provides a graphical representation of when the course is visible or hidden to students before, between, and after key dates specified by the term or the course dates.
Unpublished courses will be hidden to students at all times. Once students have interacted with the course, it cannot be unpublished. Published courses are accessible to students based on the type of access you specify and the dates shown on the timeline.
By default, these dates are determined by the ISU term dates. A Canvas term starts 1 week prior to the start of the semester and ends shortly after grade submission is completed, as specified on the ISU Academic Calendar.
Outside of these dates, students will have read-only access, full access, or no access to the course content depending on the settings described in the “Types of Student Access” section below.
To customize these dates, navigate to the Course Settings page in your Canvas course and complete these actions:
- Select Course Dates from the Participation dropdown menu.
- Specify a Start and/or End date for the course.
- Choose which type of access students should retain (see below) outside of these dates.
Types of Student Access
- No access before the start date: This is the default setting for courses at ISU. Before the term, students are prevented from accessing the course in any way when the “Restrict students from viewing this course before start date” box is checked.
- Viewing (read-only) access before the start date: To grant students the ability to see but not participate in the course before the start date, uncheck the “Restrict students from viewing this course before start date” box.
- Viewing (read-only) access after the end date: This is the default setting for courses at ISU. After the term, when a course is concluded (see Course Conclusion), student access is automatically changed to read-only when the “Restrict students from viewing this course after start date” box is unchecked.
- No access after the end date: To prevent students from accessing the course in any way after the term, check the “Restrict students from viewing this course after start date” box.
Note that section dates, which may be modified through the ISU AdminTools Manage Sections page, may optionally override course visibility dates. Section dates are not shown in the Course Visibility Timeline.