Do you teach large enrollment courses (50 students or more) and want to learn more about building community, effective assessment, active learning techniques, and course design? Apply now for the CELT Winter Course Design Institute (CDI) 2021. The CDI is an online interactive, hands-on, and collaborative opportunity for ISU instructors to build skills and have time and space to design or substantially revise their courses in the online or hybrid environment.
The CELT Winter CDI includes four 75-min sessions (held on January 4, 6, 11, and 13 from 9-10:15 a.m.) about these topics:
- Fundamental course design elements with ISU Template in Canvas and its variations for large enrollment courses (Drs. Laura Bestler and Lesya Hassall)
- Building community and reducing anonymity in large enrollment courses (Dr. Sayali Kukday)
- Effective assessment strategies and approaches to academic cheating (Dr. Jodi Sterle)
- Active learning techniques and feedback giving in large enrollment courses (Dr. Michael Dorneich)
- Following each synchronous session, you may join an optional 30-minute conversation for sharing large-enrollment course teaching tips.
- Access to the CDI Canvas course with additional resources directly applicable to your teaching and student learning.
- Ability to schedule 30-minute individual consultations with CELT instructional designers on your course design specifics throughout the CELT Winter CDI.
- Receive a certificate of completion and recognition of participation shared with their department chair(s).
- Customize your Canvas course using the highly adaptable ISU Template in preparation for the coming semester.
- Align your course design using the CELT-supported tools.
- Participants who fully engage in the four-day Institute and complete a self-evaluation of your course using CELT-supported tools will receive a $500 professional development stipend from the Office of the Senior Vice President and Provost.*
Institute requirements for completion
- Commit to attending each of the 75-minute synchronous sessions on Jan. 4, 6, 11, and 13 (9-10:15 a.m., followed by 30-minutes of optional guided discussion).
- Consider attending at least one of the optional guided discussions or schedule an individual consultation.
- Proceed with your course (re)design work.
- Explore the self-paced Canvas course with curated instructional materials and resources.
- *Complete the Self-Review Evaluation Tool on your own and submit the PDF document to CELT by February 3, 2021, at 5 p.m. Once received, CELT will send an acknowledgment of completion to you along with directions for receiving your $500 professional development stipend from the Office of the Senior Vice President and Provost.
Who can attend?
- The CELT Winter Course Design Institute 2021 is open to 40 faculty or staff with teaching responsibilities from Iowa State University.
- CELT will give preference to instructors of large-enrollment courses (courses with 50 or more students). Instructors of smaller enrollment courses may register and attend if space permits.
- All disciplines are welcome and encouraged to participate.
- Registration: Opens on October 1 and closes on November 30. Once registered, you will receive a confirmation email from CELT via Qualtrics.
- Scheduled Activities: CELT Winter CDI includes four 75-minute synchronous sessions on Jan. 4, 6, 11, and 13 (9-10:15 a.m., followed by 30-minutes of optional guided discussion and scheduled individual consultations).
- Access: By December 16, 2020, CELT will do the following:
- Enroll participants in the self-paced Canvas course with resources directly applicable to teaching and learning.
- Give access to the scheduled synchronous sessions followed by the optional 30-minute guided conversations (hosted via the Webex Education Connector in Canvas).
- Open the ability to schedule 30-minute individual consultations with CELT instructional designers.
- Requirement: A completed Self-Review Evaluation Tool is due to CELT by February 3, 2021, at 5 p.m. to be eligible for the $500 professional development stipend.
Registration and Contact Information
- To register provide contact and course information, respond to what do you hope to accomplish during the Institute and commit to attending all four 75-min sessions (held on January 4, 6, 11, and 13 from 9-10:15 a.m.) via this 2021 CELT Winter Course Design Institute Registration form. Registration closes on November 30.
- To request reasonable accommodations to participate in the Course Design Institute or if you have questions please contact us via email at email@example.com or call 515-294-5357.