Ensure each assignment is included (or excluded) from your Gradebook
In Canvas, check that each of the following is appropriately specified:
- Assignments — flagged for inclusion (or exclusion) in gradebook
- Discussions — marked as graded or not graded
- Quizzes — set as graded or practice quizzes
- Any graded item is worth more than 0 points unless it is extra credit.
- All graded items are part of the correct assignment group if the final grade is a weighted total.
Specify a method for grade calculation in Canvas
Review the grading scheme and grade distribution in Canvas
Follow the grading scheme guide to specify the cutoff percentages for each letter grade.
Note: these percentages are not rounded. If a B+ is from exactly 87% to anything less than 90%, then a score of 86.9% would result in a B and a score of 90% would result in an A-.
* If you need to further manipulate the grade distribution or use a custom formula to determine the final grade, navigate to your Gradebook to export a CSV file. When you are satisfied with your calculations, import the revised file. See also Key Concepts for Grading in Canvas.
Submit your final grades
From within your Canvas course, choose ISU AdminTools from the course navigation, then choose to Submit Grades.
- Choose Type of submission.
- Choose Sections you wish to submit for.
- Choose Assignments to be included in this submission.
- Check Gradebook for potential errors.
- Verify Grades.
Once finalized, queue grades for transfer to AccessPlus by choosing Save and Submit.
Follow the Student Incomplete Process in Canvas
Follow this procedure to provide access to students needing to finish an incomplete in your course.
Grade submission for incomplete grades must go through the Office of the Registrar. As an instructor, you will need to work with the Registrar to submit the grade for an incomplete. To do so, follow the instructions in the Registrar’s Incomplete Contract Form (DOCX). Questions about the process? Contact the Registrar via phone 515-294-1840 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- For help with the Gradebook, contact Canvas Support via the ?Help menu in Canvas:
- live chat with Canvas Support
- ticket support — open the ?Help menu in Canvas and click Report a Problem
- phone support — 515-294-4000, then follow the prompts for Canvas support
- For help with the Submit Grades tool, contact the ISU Solution Center:
- Email email@example.com
- Call 515-294-4000 and follow the prompts to receive support from Solution Center staff
- For pedagogical assistance, contact the Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching (CELT), via phone 515-294-5357 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Or contact the unit for your area.