CELT Teaching Spotlight: Claudia Lemper-Manahl

Dr. Claudia Lemper-Manahl, Assistant Teaching Professor, Department of Plant Pathology & Microbiology has spent twenty-four years teaching at Iowa State University. Recently, Lemper-Manahl received the Excellence in Face-to-Face Instruction COVID-19 Exceptional Effort Awards for, “leadership and creativity in ensuring the safety of students and staff in undergraduate in-person microbiology labs.”

Lemper-Manahl’s advice for teaching:

Bringing students back into the laboratory with COVID safety precautions presented one of the biggest challenges of my teaching career. Laboratory courses are close contact and involve partners, teams, shared equipment, and many demonstrations. My advice to others teaching lab courses to insure biosafety:

• Educating the students before attending class with detailed videos demonstrating the expected safety protocols including entering the building, classroom and most importantly how to wear PPE.
  • Providing all lecture material, quizzes, experimental protocol demos as well results and discussions on Canvas for any students unable to attend the in-person offering.
  • Sending weekly updates and summary of assignments via a video message to aid students with organization and overview of the week’s expectations.

I highly recommend the training I participated in this past summer that helped me to improve my Canvas course and teaching tools for the remote portions of my course. CELT offered a Summer Course Design Institute including Quality Matters and the ISU Template. It was so helpful to have experts available to answer questions and guide all of the instructors on best practices for online delivery.

Claudia Lemper-Manahl