The ISU Learning Technology Change Advisory Board continues to monitor the progress and development of the Canvas New Quizzes tool. You also can follow this progress by bookmarking and viewing the New Quizzes Feature Comparison page.
Until New Quizzes includes support for proctoring tools, has garnered substantial support from our fellow R1 peer institutions, and obtains feature parity with the existing Quiz tool, Iowa State University will not enable the New Quizzes tool. Once the ISU Learning Technology Change Advisory Board finds Canvas New Quizzes to be an adequate replacement, the campus community will be notified in a timely manner via the CELT Instructional Tools News and Updates page.
January 8, 2021
Canvas has extended the anticipated implementation date of New Quizzes to July 2022.
March 15, 2021
Canvas has released a blog post sharing their intended priorities for New Quizzes. You can find the short-term priorities in the overall Canvas roadmap. Recent updates and bug fixes are listed below.
- Modules Support for New Quizzes: New Quizzes can be created as part of adding a quiz to a module.
- Outcomes Decoupling Mastery Scales and Proficiency Calculations: Set mastery scales and proficiency calculations independently of outcomes for New Quizzes.
- Multiple Attempts Display: When the Quiz LTI (new quizzes) was selected as the submission type for a new assignment, the assignment creation page included the option for multiple attempts. However, the option for multiple attempts was also included as part of the quiz settings in the new quiz. Canvas code has been updated to remove the option for multiple attempts for the Quiz LTI in new assignments.
- New Quizzes and Peer Review Settings: When a New Quiz was created right after a regular assignment that included automatic peer reviews, the New Quiz inherited the peer review setting and displayed a review in the student To Do list. Canvas code has been updated to not inherit peer review settings for previously created assignments.
- Respondus LockDown Browser and Extensions: When a student is given an extension in a New Quiz with an Until date set after the Until date for everyone else, and the student is using the Respondus LockDown Browser, beginning the quiz created a spinning wheel that never loaded the quiz. Canvas code has been updated to allow students with extensions to complete a quiz using the Respondus LockDown Browser.