An interactive online discussion has the potential to enhance student engagement, increase learning, foster satisfaction, and humanize the online learning experience. But to gain the benefits available through an online discussion, it is essential that discussions start with an engaging, thought-provoking prompt. Without a thoughtful prompt, there is simply not a reason for students to meaningfully engage. This 20-Minute Mentor overviews strategies for writing effective discussion questions that engage students in interactive dialogue and critical inquiry.
After viewing this 20-Minute Mentor, you’ll be able to:
- Integrate multimedia discussion prompts
- Identify the role and purpose of the discussion forum within an online course
- Create engaging discussion questions that stimulate ongoing dialogue
To get started
- Follow the steps to log into 20-Minute Mentor Commons (CELT provides an institutional membership)
- Go to the How can you create questions that stimulate engaging conversations in online discussion boards? 20-Minute Mentor video
- Then to create your video prompts, use Studio in Canvas and embed the video in the discussion boards.