CELT Faculty Spotlight: Sayali Kukday

Dr. Sayali Kukday, Associate Teaching Professor, Department of Genetics, Development, and Cell Biology, has spent 7 years at Iowa State. Kukday’s advice for teaching:

“I would like to share some streams of thought that might help people new to teaching get started on their adventurous journey:

1. What excites me about teaching and learning? Reflecting on this question as you begin your journey is crucial to identifying the strengths that you bring to the world of teaching and learning. Your thoughts serve as your Teaching Philosophy that helps guide your planning. CELT Resource: Document Your Teaching
  2. What should my students be able to do by the end of my course? Reflecting on this question will help you determine which teaching methodologies you can use to help your students achieve these learning goals. CELT Resource: Teaching Strategies section
  3. What can I do to make my course inclusive and accessible for all students? Reflecting on this question will help you provide a welcoming environment for all students and is a vital component of effective teaching. CELT Resource: Creating an Inclusive Classroom
  4. What can I learn from my students about my teaching? Reflecting on this question will help you center your teaching on student learning. Collecting feedback from students through various forms of assessments before, during, and at the end of the semester helps evaluate how students are doing, what changes can enhance learning, and is a great way to document your teaching. CELT Resource: Assessment and Evaluation
  5. What supports do I have to help me be successful in teaching at ISU? All you have to do is walk into (virtually for now) CELT’s office to be welcomed by a talented and friendly team that is ever-ready to support you in your teaching. I would also like to highlight some CELT Programs including the Teaching and Learning Academy and Teaching Partners Program. I co-facilitate the CELT DBER Journal Club, which is a cross-disciplinary community of faculty, postdocs, and graduate students that come together once a month to read and discussed published literature on teaching and learning. We would love for you to join us!

I hope our paths cross on our journey through the exciting world of teaching and learning.”

Sayali Kukday