Table of Contents
In response to the growing problem of ‘Zoombombing’, Zoom has updated the default settings. Updates include a ‘Waiting Room’ and password protection (updated on April 4, 2020).
To address this problem, Zoom has recommendations for avoiding Zoombombing.
Zoom Password Protection
A password is now required for:
- All new meetings
- All instant meetings
- Participants joining by phone
- Previously scheduled meetings – there are two options
- Participants can enter the password when they join
- You will have to resend the meeting link with the newly embedded password
To find the password settings, go to your online Zoom portal (Sign in with your ISU NetID and password at https://iastate.zoom.us/).
- To resend the meeting invitation from the online Zoom portal, click on your specific meeting, then click Copy the Invitation
- This link contains the embedded password
- To resend the meeting invitation from the meeting room, click the Invite button at the bottom of the window, then Copy the Meeting Invitation
More details can be found via the Zoom Password tips page
Zoom Waiting Room
- Waiting Room allows the host to control when a participant joins the meeting. This can be disabled in the meeting room settings, as well as during the meeting.
- When Waiting Room is enabled, you will receive on-screen prompts through the Participant box.
- For more information about Zoom Waiting Rooms, visit their Waiting Room tips page.
Prevent Zoombombing in Zoom
Configure your Personal Zoom Settings
- Require a Password for Instant Meetings
- Disable “Allow Removed Participants to Rejoin”
- Disable “File Transfer” so there’s no digital virus sharing
Schedule a Secure Zoom Meeting
- Require a Password when Scheduling New Meetings
- Enable a Waiting Room for a Zoom Meeting
- Waiting Room Message
Manage Zoom Meeting Participation
Zoombombing would also be possible if you are using the Webex tool (Not the Canvas Integration) and can be deterred by locking the meeting once everyone has joined.
NOTE: If you are using the Canvas Integration this is not necessary and can cause issues with your meeting.
To stay up-to-date on all known issues
Bookmark or favorite the Canvas News and Updates.