Karla Ruden, English

When I had originally received the email about the #CyThx campaign happening on campus, I sort of used it as a tool to reflect upon who I could credit into being a key influential factor into helping me smoothly transition to Iowa State from being at home. I immediately thought of Karla not only because some of my favorite first semester memories and closest friends I’ve made are from her class, but also because she has inspired me not only as a student, but also as a person. She is the most humble and selfless person and literally has done so much more than what is listed on the contract for her to do. She is understanding and patient, and for that, I am truly grateful. I feel like without her, I wouldn’t be staying at Iowa State next semester and she opened my eyes to opportunities I wouldn’t have otherwise thought of. I would like to make sure Karla knows that her imprint reaches far beyond the classroom and I would like to thank her for the impact she has made on my first semester in college. I am a better person for having been her student.