Doesn’t everyone appreciate a good checklist? We think so. Naomi Houston’s ProfHacker web post stated, “When properly conceived and used, a checklist ensures communication and confirmation among members of a team and catches errors.” Our checklists can help make your beginning and ending semester routines go more smoothly. Plus, completing checklists not only helps accomplish routine tasks, but it may also increase a sense of personal accomplishment (Houston, 2011). The five things (including two checklists) we wanted you to know before 2019:
- Grades are due on December 18: As a reminder, the 2018 Fall Semester final grades are due by December 18th at 2:15 p.m. To guide you through the end of the semester process in Canvas follow the End of Semester Checklist webpage. You may also submit grades through AccessPlus.
- Canvas Support is 24/7: While we are on break, remember that Canvas offers 24/7 support options listed in the ?Help icon on the Global Navigation menu (far left of your screen in Canvas):
- Canvas Support Line (Call 515-294-4000 then press 2, press 1)
- Live Chat with Canvas Support
- A web-based Report a Problem Form
- Prepping for Spring Semester: Use the Start of the Semester Checklist web guide to walk you through:
- creating a course shell and copying content from a previous Canvas course,
- planning and building your course,
- checking for accessibility,
- reviewing your course using Student View,
- enrolling students and publishing your course with ISU’s Global Course Administration tool.
- Reminder: Courses are available to students on January 7th (classes begin January 14) unless you change the course start date in Settings (view the How do I change the start and end dates for a course web guide).
- Finally, employ some of our last Teaching Tip’s, “Five things that students wish happen in their Canvas Course” (web post).
- Winter Break Hours: In an effort to conserve energy during a period of reduced activity on campus, CELT will close December 24-January 1. In addition, CELT will observe modified hours of operation from 7:30 a.m.-4 p.m. during winter break (December 17-January 11). Normal operations and hours will resume on January 14.
- Your professional development plan: Finally, there are plenty of scholarly and professional development opportunities at Iowa State and off-campus listed below. This includes all of our CELT programs planned for spring on CELT’s Event and Registration webpage.
See you in the New Year,
Sara Marcketti, Director
Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching
Full Teaching Tip
View the published CELT Teaching Tip: Five things to know before 2019 (December 13, 2018 – Constant Contact) website.
Prefer a Print version?
To view the Teaching Tip as a printable document with web addresses, download the CELT Teaching Tip for December 13, 2018 (PDF)