The Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching offers programming every August for new ISU teachers. This year’s University Teaching Seminar on Tuesday, August 20, 2013 will invite new faculty and new teaching assistants to attend separate morning programming and joint afternoon programming. The 2013 University Teaching Seminar will take place at the Iowa State Memorial Union.
University Teaching Seminar
Tuesday, August 20, 2013 from 8:30 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.
- All new teaching faculty (tenured, tenure-eligible, lecturers, clinicians, and instructors) will meet for a morning dedicated to seminars about our ISU students, teaching, learning, and ISU policies.
- New teaching assistants will convene in the morning for sessions specific to their teaching role.
- Lunch will be on your own
- All new teaching faculty and teaching assistants will meet for an afternoon of engaging workshops focusing on topics such as: an introduction to the American classroom, engaging and supporting international students, technologies for teaching and learning, resources to support teaching at the library, effective grading, writing good test questions, incorporating writing into your class, classroom management, and preparing for the first day of class.
Going Paperless to support Live Green!
To shrink our paper trail the UTS schedule, and resources will be available online by August 1. We ask that you choose to view the resources through a digital mobile device, or print out the information that would be helpful for your experience. To be fully committed to and engaged in making our campus, its operations, and initiatives as "green" as possible we encourage everyone's participation in the Live Green! campus-wide sustainability initiative.
New Faculty Orientation
Wednesday, August 21, 2013 from 7:45 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.
New tenured and tenure-eligible faculty (assistant, associate, or full professors, hired since September 2012) also attend an orientation specifically designed for them.
The New Faculty Orientation gives new tenure-eligible faculty the opportunity to meet with one another as well as with senior administrators at Iowa State. This day will include panel discussions with recently appointed junior faculty who will share their best practices to be successful at Iowa State, tips for your first year from the Dean(s) of your College, presentations on successful research programs and the importance of extension and outreach. Break-out sessions on the Ames community, flexible faculty policies, research funding, mentoring, and much more will be available to answer your questions and get you off to a great start. Senior Vice President and Provost Wickert will share his insight on what it means to be part of a land grant university. This day also provides new faculty with the opportunity to network and to socialize.
New Faculty Orientation will be held at Reiman Gardens.
If you have any questions or problems, or if you anticipate requiring any accommodations, please contact:
- For University Teaching Seminar (Tues., August 20, 2013): Laura Bestler at 515-294-5357 or email@example.com
- For New Faculty Orientation (Wed., August 21, 2013): Cinzia Cervato at 515-294-7583 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Ruth Birch at 515-294-5882 or email@example.com