With intentional planning, it is possible to begin building community in a large classroom on the first day. See how sharing exercises encourages students to interact with one another and sets the tone for active learning.
Create a positive learning environment on day one of the semester
- Welcoming Students on the First Day
- Clarifying Classroom Procedures in an Introductory Large Class
- Reviewing the Syllabus and Note Taking Procedures
- Implementing Interactive Activities in a Large Class to Build Community
- Managing a Discussion in a Large Class
- Handing in Papers and Closing the First Day of Class