Create a positive learning environment on day one of the semester
As an instructor, your approach on the first day is critical to creating a positive learning environment. Right from the start, your actions set the tone for the entire course. Regardless of class size, it is important to welcome the students, set clear expectations and create an environment that is conducive to learning. Engaging students in a large class, however, can present unique challenges.
Watch the following movie clips to see what works well for Dr. Corly Brooke, Professor of Human Development and Family Studies, on day one of HDFS 102, Individual and Family Life Development.
- Welcoming Students on the First Day
- Clarifying Classroom Procedures in an Introductory Large Class
- Reviewing the Syllabus and Note Taking Procedures
- Implementing Interactive Activities in a Large Class to Build Community
- Managing a Discussion in a Large Class
- Handing in Papers and Closing the First Day of Class