Iowa State University has a comprehensive network of resources designed to support students throughout their undergraduate experience. Some of these resources are also in place to support instructors who are negotiating challenging student-teacher interactions. Many of these key resources are offered through our Dean of Students Office (DSO), learn more from the DSO website and for undergraduate, graduate, and faculty/staff the DSO Resources webpage.
To help promote many of these resources directly to your students consider linking your Canvas course to the Online Learner Support webpage.
- Student Assistance Faculty and Staff Guide
- Promoting Student Academic Success
- Promoting Diversity and Inclusion
- Promoting Academic Integrity
- Ensuring Classroom Safety
Student Assistance Faculty and Staff Guide
The Dean of Students Office has created a detailed guide on what to do, and where to find assistance in addressing a variety of situations than may arise with students. This is a good place to start to help you determine next steps.
Academic Success Center (Dean of Students Office)
The Center provides a collection of services and programs designed to help students reach their academic goals. The staff offer individualized and group experiences through course-specific and general academic assistance as well as credit and non-credit programs. The Center facilitates PSYCH 131, a 1-credit academic learning skills seminar for undergraduate students. The Center also provides a number of online resources on targeted topics such as study skills, time management, goal setting and test anxiety. View the Supporting and Promoting Self-Directed Learners video
Writing and Media Center (Dean of Students Office)
The Writing and Media Center helps students become stronger, more confident writers and communicators. The WMC offers tailored, one-on-one conferences for students from all disciplines who are working on any form of written, oral, visual, or electronic communication.
Student Accessibility Services (Dean of Students Office)
This office works collaboratively with ISU teaching professionals to promote opportunities of educational success of each student with a disability. View the Your Role in the Life of a Student with a Disability video
Class Attendance Policy is outlined in the ISU Course Catalog and reads in part:
“Students are expected to attend class meetings as scheduled. Each instructor sets his or her policy with respect to class attendance, and excuses for absence from class are handled between the student and instructor. The instructor is expected to announce his or her policy at the beginning of the course.”
A number of offices on campus support creating a diverse and inclusive campus environment, and can help faculty foster this type of learning environment in their classroom. Visit CELT’s Creating an Inclusive Classroom website for resources to promote inclusive learning environments where the social identities and diverse backgrounds of all students may thrive.
Below you will find links to campus partners websites, programs and additional resources (alphabetical order):
- Center for LGBTQIA+ Student Success (Dean of Students Office)
- Inclusion@IowaState website
- International Students and Scholars (Division of Student Affairs)
- Margaret Sloss Center for Women and Gender Equity (Dean of Students Office)
- Multicultural Liaison Officers
- Multicultural Student Affairs (Dean of Students Office)
- NCORE-ISCORE (National Conference on Race and Ethnicity and Iowa State Conference on Race and Ethnicity)
- Office of Equal Opportunity (Office of Diversity and Inclusion)
- Office of the Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion
- Religious Accommodations (Office of Equal Opportunity)
- Student Accessibility Services (Dean of Students Office)
- Veterans Center (ISU Enrollment Services)
Promoting Academic Integrity
The Office of Student Conduct (Dean of Students Office) provides support for faculty, staff, and students when dealing with a range of student conduct issues including academic integrity.
View the Know the Code: Academic Misconduct for Faculty YouTube video
View the Academic Integrity: The Faculty Role video
Read through the following resources:
- Faculty and Staff: Office of Student Conduct webpage
- Resources for Faculty about Promoting Academic Integrity and Responding to Academic Misconduct webpage
- ISU Catalog’s Academic Life website
- The Faculty Handbook, and Code of Computer Ethics and Acceptable Use Policy websites
To understand plagiarism, the consequences of plagiarism, and best practices for avoiding plagiarism is available through the Library’s Understanding Plagiarism: Information Literacy Guide website.
Watch the Emergency Response Guide video. This 8-minute video, produced by environmental health and safety and public safety, provides useful tips for responding to campus emergencies, including violent incidents. It’s a good conversation starter for a staff discussion on workplace safety.
The ISU Environmental Health and Safety and ISU Police provide resources to help faculty in case of emergencies related to student behaviors either in or out of a classroom.
The ISU Course Catalog also includes information specific to addressing disruptive classroom behavior.
Visit the Stay Safe at Iowa State website.