On January 5, 2018, Iowa State University will be turning off all access to Blackboard. All Spring 2018 courses that use ISU’s centrally supported LMS will be taught in Canvas. Below are five important steps for the move:
- Download all grades from Blackboard. When fall semester ends you will want to download the gradecenter, grade history, and course files from your courses before Blackboard closes. These files are considered part of university record retention according to the ISU Record Retention website. Learn more via the Overview for the Learn the Process to Download Grades and Files before Blackboard Disappears web guide.
- Log into Canvas! Canvas is different from Blackboard Learn. In the broadest terms, Canvas is designed to deliver a simple, transparent, and consistent online learning experience for students. Start exploring the intuitive interface design and easy navigation that Canvas offers by logging into Canvas by opening a web browser, navigate to the Iowa State University website, locate the “Sign Ons” link found on the upper right corner (above the search box), and then select “Canvas” from the menu. You may begin your tour using the My Canvas Teacher at ISU website. Invite your students to learn Canvas via the MyCanvas Students at ISU site.
- Review your Blackboard migrated course materials in Canvas. On June 7, 2017 course materials were exported from Blackboard and imported to Canvas. Learn how to access the materials using the Quick Start Guide: Blackboard to Canvas web guide. Since Canvas is a different learning management system, you will want to spend time learning which course materials you keep and where you put them! See point 4 for more information!
- Start learning Canvas. There are multiple ways and teaching approaches for you to learn Canvas, visit the Canvas Training and Resources webpage and departments may request a 15-minute or 1-hour Canvas Overview presentation using the Canvas Presentation and Training Request Form (for departments).
- Need help? If anything is unclear or confusing, please contact Canvas Support – Canvas offers 24/7 support options listed in the ? Help icon on the Global Navigation to the far left or call the Canvas Support Line (which includes how-to assistance) call 515-294-4000 then press 2, press 1.
Sara Marcketti, Interim Director
Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching
Full Teaching Tip
View the published Teaching Tip: ISU is turning off access to Blackboard on January 5, 2018 (October 12, 2017 – Constant Contact) website.
If you would prefer to view the Teaching Tip as a printable document with web addresses, download the CELT Teaching Tip (October 12, 2017) (PDF)