CELT Teaching and Learning Academy participants will attend monthly sessions that address course design, evidence-based teaching strategies, inclusive classroom practices, peer-review of teaching, and documentation of teaching effectiveness. Local experts on college teaching and learning will lead sessions during the academy. Faculty from all disciplines are encouraged to apply for this cohort-based teaching and learning community.
At end of the Teaching and Learning Academy faculty participants will be able to:
- Apply evidence-based teaching practices to improve student learning and motivation
- Develop and maintain an inclusive classroom environment
- Develop a learner-centered syllabus for a course
- Design effective assessments of student-learning
- Develop a systematic approach for course design, that ensures alignment between course outcomes, teaching units, daily lesson plans, and assessments
- Actively participate in the process of formative peer review of teaching
- Reflect on teaching practice and its relationship to career advancement
Eligibility: The Teaching and Learning Academy at the Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching is open to faculty members at Iowa State University (tenured, tenure-eligible, term, staff member with teaching appointment) who have between one and five years of teaching experience at Iowa State University.
Scheduled Activities: Attendance is expected at all Teaching and Learning Academy sessions. Please mark the session dates and times on your calendar now. Sessions will be held from 1:10-4 p.m. in 2030 Morrill Hall on the following days:
- 2019: August 30, September 20, October 18, November 8, and December 6
- 2020: January 17, February 14, March 6, and April 17
- A 2-page CV
- Responses to the following questions:
- How many years have you taught at Iowa State University?
- What do you hope to gain from participation in the Teaching and Learning Academy?
- Do you currently supervise graduate teaching assistants or undergraduate learning assistants as part of your teaching duties?
- Confirmation that your department chair endorses your participation in the Teaching and Learning Academy. No letter is required from your department chair. On the application, you will indicate that you have discussed this opportunity with your department chair. Your department chair will receive an email notification once your application is submitted.
Deadline: Applications are available on March 25 and due on April 15, 2019. Applicants will be notified by April 30, 2019 if they have been selected to participate in the Teaching and Learning Academy.
2019-2020 Teaching and Learning Academy Cohort
|Nicholas T. Peters||Assistant Professor||Plant Pathology & Microbiology|
|Crystal Brillhart||Assistant Teaching Professor||Animal Science – Interdepartmental
|Johanna Amaya||Assistant Professor||Supply Chain Management|
|Amber Bellville||Assistant Teaching Profess||Supply Chain Management|
|Kelly Reddy-Best||Assistant Professor||Apparel, Events, & Hospitality
|Gary Sawyer||Assistant Teaching Professor||Greenlee School of Journalism & Mass Communication|
|Joseph Awino||Assistant Teaching Professor||Chemistry|
|Alissa Stoehr||Assistant Teaching Professor||Sociology/Women’s and Gender Studies|