In our previous Tip (ISU is turning off access to Blackboard on January 5, 2018) we shared 5 ways to successfully prepare for making the transition from teaching in Blackboard to Canvas. In this issue, our CELT team thought you may be interested in the results of the Canvas early adopter survey.
As you may know, we have about 300 instructors currently teaching in Canvas. 80% of the instructor early adopters stated that they were satisfied or very satisfied with Canvas. Their satisfaction was attributed to:
- Content creation, calendar, and communication tools that helped their teaching and student learning.
- Efficiency of course building and administration tasks.
- Crisp and modern feel and overall intuitive design.
- Help features, including 24/7 support line and chat line.
Of the student respondents, 90% stated they were satisfied or very satisfied with Canvas and students praised:
- The ease of use and navigation, mobile app, cleaner look.
- Modules, course notifications, and calendar feature that helped keep them organized.
We also asked the respondents to let us know their advice for colleagues. Comments included:
- “Do not assume that you can do the same things you did in Blackboard. Learn how Canvas works, and then mold your course around those features. I tried to “shoehorn” my Bb course into Canvas and found that some features simply were not allowed in Canvas.”
- “Explore and play with it early. If you have problems, start with the User Guides as they are helpful. It is nice to have the 24/7 support too. I have used it and they are a good resource.”
- “Make sure to on-board students.”
And finally, our favorite:
- “Be patient. Breathe deeply. Get help [with Canvas].”
Find out why early adopters are happy and immerse yourself in Canvas by using all of ISU’s Canvas training and tutorials (quick links listed below):
- Open Labs,
- CELT-led Workshops,
- Canvas Presentation and Training Request Form (for departments),
- Self-Paced Online Canvas Tutorials,
- Online Canvas Training Webinars, and the
- MyCanvas Teacher at ISU website
Sara Marcketti, Interim Director
Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching
Full Teaching Tip
View the published Teaching Tip: Advice from a Canvas early adopter, “Be patient. Breathe deeply. Get help [with Canvas].” (October 26, 2017 – Constant Contact) website.
If you would prefer to view the Teaching Tip as a printable document with web addresses, download the CELT Teaching Tip • October 26, 2017 (PDF)