CELT Faculty Spotlight: Elizabeth Stegemöller

Dr. Elizabeth Stegemöller, Associate Professor, in Kinesiology has spent 6 years at ISU. Her advice for someone new to teaching is:

“Be yourself. When I first started teaching, I tried to cover up insecurities, which led to a persona that was not really me. Now, if I make a mistake in class, I just apologize, correct the mistake, and move on. Sometimes we (the class and I) all laugh at the mistake. I also add my probably not so funny humor in class, and just really try to be myself. I have found the students are more comfortable with me in class, and they realize that I am a person, too, not some lofty professor they cannot talk to about class struggles.”

Dr. Stegemöller shared one of her favorite CELT experiences was the CELT Teaching Symposium designed for new to ISU faculty and graduate students. She shared, “I remember after the symposium, I totally reworked all of my syllabi, and that is when I started thinking about how to transition my Neuroscience class from lecture/discussion to activity-based, which has been a very awesome change.” This change included students drawing on the board, acting out different mechanisms, debating topics, and engaging with their peers. If you wish to refresh your knowledge, go to the CELT Teaching Symposium Learning Modules (Public Version) Canvas Course.

Elizabeth Stegemöller
Elizabeth Stegemöller